The Department of Biotechnology was established in February, 2012 at University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Muzaffarabad in its Chehla Campus Campus by the personal efforts and interest of the Prof. Dr. Dilnawaz Ahmad Gardezi, Former Vice Chancellor, UAJK. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Nasim Khan was appointed as the Founder Chairman of Biotechnology department.
It is a teaching and research department of the University and provides facilities in a number of contemporary disciplines of Biotechnology at M.Phil and Ph.D levels. The department also aims at initiating BS (4year) Biotechnology program keeping in view the importance of this emerging field in current time. The department offers a prospect to the students from all areas of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Pakistan to participate and excel in the emerging fields of Biotechnology. The study programs are designed to understand important scientific issues, current technologies, and future challenges in light of local, regional, and global needs for well-trained manpower to serve the sectors of health, agriculture, industry and education in the country by using outcomes based teaching and learning frameworks.
The Biotechnology Department has been established with an ambition to provide students with a solid foundation in the rapidly growing field of biotechnology.
Our goal is to provide students to take leadership role in the applications and promotion of modern biotechnology in the area of Azad Jammu and Kashmir through high level of education and research activities.
Establish a department with an ambition to provide students with a solid foundation in the rapidly growing field of biotechnology and to develop new technologies to deal with global issues of health, food and environment.
The mission of the Department is to deliver quality education, conduct high quality basic and applied biotechnological research addressing the emerging issues of the state and society. Department will prepare trained biotechnologists able to approach problems with creativity and flexibility. The key element will be active participation in the process of scientific discovery.
- Biotechnology has a wide scope ranging from diagnoses to treatment, agriculture to medicine, and from bioremediation to gene manipulation.
- Biotechnology has devised such techniques and procedures which can provide the mankind with the safest, germ free and highly nutritious food and disease resistant crops.
- Medical diagnostic laboratories are in great need of competent biotechnologists to carry out the modern diagnostic tests.
- Police and other forensic departments need the biotechnologists to identify the culprits by using genome profiles and other biotechnology techniques of identification.
- The graduate students can compete, with advantage, within the relevant academic and commercial markets in Pakistan.
A number of graduates from this Department are actively serving in reputed academic and research institutes and industrial organizations.